3.02.2015

Everyday is a New Beginning

Life is what happens while we're "busy" making other plans...

I wanted to begin with this famous quote because it's been some time since posting my last blog entry and I apologize to my followers for that. Yes, "life" happens and if we're not careful, it's easy to overwhelm ourselves with obligations, promises and other "stuff" that isn't very important.

It's common knowledge that it can take 21-days to create a habit (or change an undesirable trend in one's life). A former boss once said to me, "You can be busy, but are you being productive?" Recently I caught myself in this situation of overfilling my schedule with "busy-ness" which is not advancing my personal and professional goals. So I created a spreadsheet of how I spent blocks of time throughout my day, then made adjustments to it that would better insure my success of creating my preferred daily habits. The first habit I want to begin is creating drawings and writing blog posts on a daily basis.

I know, I know... You've read this before. Probably from another blogger that is apologizing to their audience just like I am for not not providing you with usable and regular content. So writing and drawing are two activities that I would like to become daily habits for me. Even if they are brief writings like sharing a quote, or a current work-in-progress for one of my projects, it's something that I need to be consistent with to bring you a unique and valuable experience.

So enough with that, let's get into something useful.
  • What do you want your life to look like?
  • How would you envision your "perfect" day?
  • If money was no object, how would you spend your time?

If we want to discover the ANSWER, we first need to ask the QUESTION. Now we can begin the conversation.

What do you do when you need to think? Do you turn on the television? Blast the radio? Enter a room of crowded people? NO. You seek out a place that is quiet. If you are interested in changing your life, and pursuing your passion, then let's start with finding some quiet time to reflect on where you are now and what you want your life to look like.

I am speaking now from my own personal experience, which I hope helps encourage and guide you. This is what I did.


I was fed up with where I was at professionally. I was working the graveyard shift at a job that wasn't very fulfilling, yet it did serve a purpose. That purpose was providing income and health benefits for me and my family. It also served another purpose... it helped me realize what I DIDN'T want to do, forcing me to ask myself the question, "What DO I want to do with my life?" So I grabbed a composition book (you know, the ones we had in school with the black and white "cow"moulage on the cover) and began to write every idea that came to me about how I could make a living getting back to what I loved... DRAWING!

To determine what that "something" is for you means you may need to reflect back on your childhood and remember what it is you LOVED doing. For my wife, it was riding and working with horses. For me, it was drawing. What is it for you? So let's start the process together of creating the life that you REALLY want to live.

[ACTION STEP] Go to your local store today and purchase a composition book, or some sort of journal. Then TONIGHT, find a quiet place where you can reflect on your life up to this point, remembering all the moments where you were happiest; when you felt alive. (Oh, by the way, quiet means tossing your smart phone in a drawer for awhile. Sorry, but how bad do you want it?)

It's time to begin creating a NEW LIFE which allows you to be the best version of yourself. A life designed to fulfill your passion and purpose. Let's get started TODAY!

No comments: